Saturday, November 28, 2009

Foundation Stone Meditation

I have worked for some time with certain of the verses of the Foundation Stone Meditation which Steiner brought to the founding of the Anthroposophical Society in 1924. These are the verses, 1, 3, 5, and 8, are the ones that Steiner initially wanted to publish. I find the other verses very mysterious and I patiently wait for the moment when they will speak to me. The translation is my own mixture of different translations and time spent in a German dictionary.

Soul of Man!
Thou livest in the limbs
That bear thee through the world of space
Into the ocean being of the Sprit.
Practice Spirit-Recollection
In depth of Soul,
Where with the strength sublime
Of world creative life
Thine own I grows to full being
In the I of God.
Then in the Being of the World of Man
Thou life will be true.

Soul of Man!
Thou livest in the beat of heart and lung
Which guide thee through the rhythm of the ages
In to the feeling of thine own Soul Being.
Practice Spirit-Meditation
In the balance of the Soul
Where the surging deeds
Of cosmic evolution
Unite thine own I
With the I of the World.
Then in the Working of the Soul of Man
Thy feeling will be true

Soul of Man!
Thou livest in the resting head
Which from the eternal wellspring
Opens for thee the thoughts of the World.
Practice Spirit-Vision
In restfulness of thought
Where the eternal aims of God
Grant light of Cosmic Being
To thine own I
For free and active Will.
Then in the Spirit-Foundation of Man
Thy feeling with be true.

Oh Light Divine
Oh Sun of Christ
Warm thou our heart
Enlighten thou our head
That good may become
What from our heart we would found
And with our head direct
With single purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment